Basic Illustrated Custom Map
From: $ 50.00
Custom maps are a great way to help your wedding guests find their way around the area. A map benefits both you and them:
- Guests are less likely to get lost--which means they're less likely to call five minutes before the ceremony starts, asking for directions.
- GPS navigation isn't perfect. Sometimes it gets the route wrong, or the destination doesn't show up on the map. Ordering a custom map is the best way to ensure your guests know the right roads.
- A custom map can also give guests information about the area, such as where to find the hotel, the best place to park, or the restaurant that's serving brunch the next morning.
How to submit your custom map
Creating your map with Google Maps
While there are different ways to submit your map, I find the easiest site to use is Google Maps. You'll need a Google account to use this feature.
- Go to https://mapsengine.google.com/map. Create a new map. You can click on the map title to change its name.
- Type the address of your destination into the search bar and hit Enter. The Maps creator will add a green marker to your map.
- Click the green marker. On the pop-up window for the marker, click the "Add to map" link and add a title. The destination will now show up in the list on the left of your screen.
- If your map will include multiple destinations, you can repeat the process to add more markers.
- Once you're done, click on "Share" in the upper right-hand corner. Under "Who has access," change it to "Anyone with the link."
- Copy and paste the share URL into your order information.
Customize your map design
You can customize your map in order to build the design that best matches your needs. Pick your colors, fonts, design, and extra elements as needed and include the information with your order.
Customize colors and fonts
Customize the layout
Choose a simple map with icons to mark different locations. Or add a highlight along the route from the ceremony to the reception. Show even more detail by adding an inset map that zooms in close around an area. (An inset map is available for an additional fee. Contact me for more details.)
Help guests who aren't familiar with the area find their way around. Use a Basic Map with generalized directions, so you can help guests navigate "From the North" or "From Route 50." You can choose to have your map show a large area, or zoom in close to show the immediate area.
If you need to show a specific route, such as the best way to get from the ceremony to the reception, go with a Route Map. You can even show a route that has multiple "stops" if you have more than one destination in mind, such as from the ceremony to the reception to the hotel.
Map with Inset
Get the most out of your map by including two views to show the most detail. The maps can be either a Basic Map or a Route Map. Show a large area and a detail section, or show two details of different areas.
Choose your icons
You'll want to choose the type of icon you want to represent the landmarks on your map.
Example Basic Icons (included)
Generic location marker
Museum or university marker
I can also include icons for food, sightseeing, or other locations.
Custom illustrations are also available for an additional fee. Contact me for more details.
Place your order
Once you've worked out the details, it's time to order your custom map. When you place your order, you'll need to include the following information:
- The link to your Google Map (or other online map)
- Your directions, written how you want them worded
- Your customizations: colors, fonts, and any layout details
- The full address of your ceremony and/or reception as needed. (If it's not on your invitation, you'll need it on your directions card!)
- Any other details you may want to include, such as a link to your wedding website.