What Should You Ask An Invitation Designer Before Hiring Them?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on July 1, 2016, but it’s been updated with awesome new tips and helpful links!
Chances are, you’ve never ordered wedding invitations before. You walk into that stationery shop or pick up the phone to call… and it hits you. “What do I say?” The truth is, finding an invitation is like finding a spouse!
Don't just go for the first (or cheapest!) invitation designer you find. You need to get to know them and their style, and figure out if your personalities work together.
In some cases, that can mean meeting with many invitation designers before you find the one that really gets you.
Questions You Should Ask Your Invitation Designer
So what do you ask, exactly, to figure out which stationer is best for you? I mean, it's not like you've ever done this before.
No worries! I did the hard work for you, and put together a sort of "interview" sheet to take to your meetings with stationers. Here’s 17 questions you should ask an invitation designer before deciding to hire them:
About the Stationer:
- What makes you different from other invitation designers?
- Can you describe your signature style?
- What principles is your business built on?
- What are the benefits of ordering from you?
About their Process:
- How long does the entire process take, from consultation to finished product?
- What is the process like for day of stationery?
- What sort of payment schedule do you have?
- How much involvement will I have in the process?
- What’s your procedure for proofing my design?
- May I review a copy of your contract?
About Your Vision:
- I have a bunch of ideas but can't settle on one, will you help me with that?
- I’d like to incorporate ________ into my wedding invitations. How can I do that? (e.g. a monogram, letterpress printing, rabbits)
- I know I want _______ sort of look/style. What are my options? (e.g. rustic, modern, classic)
- What options am I able to customize?
- What other paper options should I be aware of aside from your default paper and envelopes?
- Do you offer any services to help make my wedding a little easier?
- How can I get the most out of my invitation budget?
- Do you have any other suggestions based on the ideas I’ve laid out?
Asking these questions will not only give you a better idea of the invitation process in general, but you’ll really get to know the invitation designer and whether their creative style complements your vision.
To make it even easier for you, here's a PDF with the questions that you can download and take to your stationer meetings!
There's even space to write down your thoughts as you interview your potential invitation designers.
Want to work with me? Awesome! Contact me to get started and schedule your consultation.